It is essential that we have a sustainable future for HEI technical staff and services. Technicians, working in everything from engineering to fashion and medicine to archaeology, are key to universities realising their REF and TEF goals while achieving value for money.
Our team of experts, in collaboration with an extensive group of universities, developed a clear understanding of the following challenges facing HE technical staff and services:
- Lack of consistent career pathways
- Ineffective workforce planning due to limited understanding of technical workforce
- Lack of effective recruitment and development to support succession planning
- Lack of effective Continuing Professional Development recording
- Poor signposting of development opportunities for technicians
In response, we have developed the HEI Technical Resources Toolkit:
- HE Technical Career Pathways tools enable institutions to align to a nationally recognised structure and provides individuals with the facility to plan a technical career
- Understanding Your Technical Workforce tool enables institutions to capture information about their technical workforce to support a strategic approach to workforce planning
- Technician Development Framework provides a how-to guide on strategic development and delivery of apprenticeships, traineeships and internships in HE
- AspireCPD supports continuing professional development
- Career Development Opportunities package signposts potential career development opportunities and provides guidance for institutions to develop or improve existing CPD schemes and provides individuals with an understanding of the opportunities available
These tools form a complementary package designed to create a sustainable future for HEI technical staff and services.
The toolkit enables universities to address and meet the pledges they made when they signed the Science Council’s Technician Commitment.
Find out more here: