*this post is now closed*
Location: University of Birmingham
Faculty / Function:College of Medical and Dental Sciences
Salary: From £27,511 – £28,331
Closing Date: Wednesday 27th January 2021
Contract Type: Permanent
Contracted Hours per week: Full Time
Birmingham has been challenging and developing great minds for more than a century. Characterised by a tradition of innovation, research at the University has broken new ground, pushed forward the boundaries of knowledge and made an impact on people’s lives. We continue this tradition today and have ambitions for a future that will embed our work and recognition of the Birmingham name on the international stage.
The laboratory managers within the College of Medical and Dental Sciences are essential in supporting world class research activities and high quality infrastructure.
This post is part of a service team of technical and laboratory managers providing wide ranging support across the College. The post holder will be responsible for the overall day to day management of the research laboratory and office facilities within a designated area.
The post holder will report to one of the 4 Institute Technical Managers within the College with regard to supporting the management of technical staff, basic housekeeping, estates and H&S matters relating to the research facilities. Each area has specific needs and the postholder may also provide direct specialist technical support or training to the research activities in line with their own expertise.
The post holder will also provide support for and contribute to College activities under the direction of the Head of Infrastructure and Facilities as required
The role holder will provide a high level of expertise in a range of technical skills to support academic delivery to a dedicate section of the Colleges space. The role holder will have core duties that apply to all laboratory managers but will also undertake specific activity in line with the bespoke needs of the research activity and their own expertise and specialisms. Examples of these are detailed below and will not be undertaken by all role holders, this list is not exhaustive and will be subject to change :
• IBR 4th Floor; support the maintenance and management of specialist Category 3 facilities
• NMR, understand the operational requirements of BioMolecular NMR and undertake routine cryogenic fills
• CTIR and RAICR; manage and support core GCP designated labs
• IBR West; high level of skill in tissue culture sufficient to train and advise others
• College wide; support and manage the work experience placement scheme
• Act as Biological Safety Officer in any area if skill set is appropriate
• College wide; form part of COSHH review group if skill set is appropriate