CTL Laboratory Manager – Biolabs – Collaborative Teaching Laboratory
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Faculty / Function: Collaborative Teaching Laboratory in the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
Salary: £27,511 to £30,046
Closing Date: 19 May 2021
Contract Type: Fixed-term for up to 12 months (Maternity Cover)
Contracted Hours per week: Full Time
This role is also open as an internal secondment opportunity which would need to be agreed by your current line manager.
The role holder is responsible for all aspects covering practical class provision. Duties will include:
• To provide in-class operational support to students and staff to ensure that practical aspects of the class progress free from equipment breakdowns, a lack of consumables etc. Trouble- shoot and respond to problems which may occur during practical sessions;
• To provide laboratory inductions to staff and students and to train and instruct in the correct operation of facilities (particularly important for Staff and Demonstrators who supervise students during classes);
• To assist Academic Colleges with the improvement of new and existing practical classes, proactively putting forward suggestions to ensure that classes make best use of the facility. This will involve trialing and refining classes (including individual experiments) and setting up mock sessions to test set-up and in-class experience.
Operational Support (including Equipment)
The role holder is responsible for all operational aspects of the laboratory. Duties will include:
• To implement and refine safe and effective workflow and operational procedures including the testing and modifying of protocols for preparation, set-up and clear-away;
• To assist in choosing and procuring new equipment. This may include arranging for the demonstration of equipment, obtaining quotations and assisting with procurement processes;
• Ensure that all equipment within the CTL is fit for purpose and is maintained to a satisfactory standard. To undertake maintenance, repair, calibration and cleaning of equipment in-house where safe and feasible to do so;
• To manage timetabling for the Biolabs (both class times and set-up/clear-away) making best use of the facility from a scheduling and utilisation perspective;
• To manage a budget for consumables and equipment repair, providing reports as required;
• To calculate full economic costings for facility use and to prepare utilisation reports;
• Promote the CTL to potential external clients, exploring opportunities for use and likely cost.
Health, Safety and Laboratory Management
The role holder is responsible for the management of health, safety, security and infrastructure within the Biolabs. Duties will include:
• To provide advice and guidance on all issues relating to health and safety (in collaboration with other safety related staff where appropriate);
• Ensure that suitable and sufficient risk assessments and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are in place (and available) and assist in the production/updating of these documents (e.g. assessments may include chemical, equipment, manual handing, noise etc.). Monitor that specified control measures are being followed and to stop any unsafe activity observed;
• To be responsible for the day-to-day upkeep of the laboratory including ensuring that regular statutory checks (e.g. legionella, PAT etc.) are completed and that high standards of housekeeping are maintained;
• Ensure that all accidents, incident and near misses are reported taking any actions required to prevent reoccurrence;
• Ensure that the Laboratory infrastructure remains fit-for-purpose and in good condition, working with CTL technical coordinator and Estates Maintenance to explore opportunities for small scale works and to resolve any faults;
• To manage laboratory security controlling access and managing the CCTV system;
• To act as an out-of-hours contact working with CTL technical coordinator, Biosciences building management, Estates and Security to help resolve urgent facility issues.
• To act as a First Aider and a Fire Warden.
• Assist in the recruitment and selection of new/replacement technical posts;
• Provide direct line management support, setting duties and monitoring progress. Maintain records of education and training being proactive in developing staff technical and wider skills base. Conduct Performance Development Reviews and make any recommendations for reward.
• To act as an ambassador for the CTL and to promote the operational and strategic aims;
• To deputise for the Head of Operations when required;
• To complete any reasonable duties as required that are commensurate with grade.