Food Technologist (Apprentice Technician)
This vacancy is now closed.
Location: Manchester Metropolitan University – All Saints Campus
Faculty / Function: Professional Services
Closing Date: 7 August 2022
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Contracted Hours per week: 35
Level 3 Food Technologist Apprentice Technician – Food Nutrition Team, Faculty of Health & Education
This is an exciting opportunity to join us for a 33 months fixed-term apprenticeship.
Our team comprises approximately 200 technicians across the University. We provide specialist support to undergraduate and postgraduate students and the student experience is at the heart of what we do. The services we provide underpin a wide variety of academic programmes and we deliver this support via specialist laboratories, workshops, design studios and contemporary arts facilities.
Our technical staff provide a high level of expertise and technical knowledge, playing a key role in supporting students in their studies and project work. We also provide support for research, consultancy and knowledge exchange activities. We are a forward-looking service, committed to a culture of continuous improvement and service excellence.
About the Role:
This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual looking for a challenging and exciting role. We are seeking to appoint a Food Technologist Technician Apprentice to support the Health and Education programmes within the Faculty of Health and Education, based in our Cavendish Building. You will join a diverse team of technical staff, supporting the effective running of the service, supporting learning, teaching, research, outreach and enterprise activities as well as undertaking your apprenticeship in Food Technology (level 3 Diploma in Food Technology).
Working in the Food Nutrition team as a member of Technical Services, you will support the technical teams within Food Nutrition in the following key areas; under supervision develop expertise and specialist skills in the use and maintenance of equipment relating to Food Technology; learn how to develop your skills to enable you to support and assist undergraduate students and their projects; learn how to develop your skills to enable you to participate in supporting outreach activities on site and within a school or college setting and you should have an interest in working in a Food Technology and Education environments.
Other duties will include:
- Learn how to look at sustainable practise within the sector and learn to support implementation of this good practice within the Food Nutrition team
- Develop skills in the operation of the equipment to undertake classroom set-ups and support for research.
- Ensure work areas are kept clean and ready for use. Learn how to undertake general stock keeping tasks
- Learn how to work in a safe and responsible manner, adhering to organisational health and safety rules and procedures.
- In order to provide the highest level of technical service, supporting the area, you will have a flexible approach to work and an ability to work as an individual (under supervision) as well as part of a team. You will be expected to participate in internal and external networks and user groups, attending relevant events to keep up to date with the latest developments and techniques and to share information with other team members. Strong communication skills and a commitment to quality service will also play an important role in being successful in this post.