This vacancy is now closed.
Job Reference: 11243
The Circa Renewable Chemistry Institute (CRCI) has been set up at the Green Chemistry Centre of Excellence (GCCE) with funding from Circa PLC. The CRCI will aim to become an internationally recognised hub for activities relating to renewable chemistry and in particular the chemistry of levoglucosenone and its derivative Cyrene TM (a new commercial bio-based solvent).
The Department of Chemistry is one of the largest and most successful departments at York and we are renowned internationally for our research. As a department, we strive to provide a working environment that allows all staff and students to contribute fully, to flourish, and to excel. We are proud of our Athena SWAN Gold Award.
The Technical Team Manager will help run the new Circa Renewable Chemistry Institute (CRCI), including its set-up, research work, networking and industrial liaison. In particular, they will be responsible for:
- Providing high-level technical support for research projects, including management of junior CRCI members
- Managing, reviewing and implementing procedures to maximise the efficient running of the CRCI under the direction of the management lead
- Establishing and maintaining a safe and compliant working environment
- Managing and monitoring budgets
- Presenting technical information at meetings
- Supporting change management initiatives at a local level in collaboration with senior staff
Skills, Experience & Qualifications needed
- Degree in chemistry or related subject, or equivalent relevant experience
- RSci/REng, or willingness to work towards, or equivalent professional registration
- Broad understanding and in-depth knowledge of relevant health and safety legislation and regulations
- In-depth and current theoretical and practical knowledge of a technical service
- Track record in the application of specialist technical skills
- Ability to work independently with initiative, using problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent IT and analytical skills
- Ability to present complex ideas in a clear and concise manner
- Competent in the operation and maintenance of equipment used in technical services
- Ability to analyse and interpret technical performance and to design and deliver training
- Demonstrable experience in green chemistry
- Experience of successfully managing and motivating others to achieve results, prioritising to deadlines and demands
- Experience of writing reports for managers on the technical work area
- Experience of managing a technical work area
- Actively demonstrate commitment to professional development
- Flexible attitude towards work
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively
This is a fixed-term contract for up to 43 months.
Interview date: To be confirmed
For informal enquiries: Please contact Dr Hannah Briers (firstname.lastname@example.org)