Location: Manchester All Saints Campus
Faculty/Service: Academic Services
Salary: Grade 2 (£20,333 to £21,134)
Contract: 35H per week, Permanent
Closing Date: 27/04/23
Our team comprises approximately 200 technicians across the University. We provide specialist support to undergraduate and postgraduate students and the student experience is at the heart of what we do.
The services we provide underpin a wide variety of academic programmes and we deliver this support via specialist laboratories, workshops, design studios and contemporary arts facilities.
Our technical staff provide a high level of expertise and technical knowledge, playing a key role in supporting students in their studies and project work.
We also provide support for research, consultancy and knowledge exchange activities.
We are a forward-looking service, committed to a culture of continuous improvement and service excellence.
This is an opportunity for an individual looking for a challenging and exciting role. We are seeking to appoint Assistant Technician’s in our Resource Centres across the faculties of Arts & Humanities, Science & Engineering and Health & Education at Manchester Metropolitan University. The role holders support duties in laboratories, workshops, studios, galleries, associated Research Centres and Institutes.
You will join a diverse team of technical staff, supporting the effective running of the service, supporting learning, teaching, research, outreach and enterprise activities.
Working in the Resource Centre team as a member of Technical Services the role holder will undertake Counter Services, the safe use of standard equipment, general housekeeping and cleaning duties across the Faculties, Research Centres and Institutes. You should have an interest in working in a technical environment.
Other duties will include:
- Supporting a counter service in the resource centre.
- Issuing resources using current operating systems.
- Basic preparation of workshops and clinical areas using designated equipment in line with service level agreements
- Cleaning of specialist training laboratories, workshops, studios and associated storage areas in preparation for classes and for annual clean down.
- Stripping down, setting up and general upkeep of laboratory, workshop equipment and, machinery etc.
This is an entry level position into a progressive career in Technical Services, you would be supported to develop and excel in this role. We offer a buddy system and comprehensive ongoing training opportunities.
Having a flexible approach to work, strong communication skills and a commitment to quality service are essential to this role.
Participation in internal technical events to widen your skills and knowledge are encouraged.
Before you apply:
Would you like a visit to your chosen area to meet technical staff to find out more about the role.
How to apply:
Please complete an application form and include a CV, highlighting skills and experience you will bring to the role.
For informal queries about the position, please get in touch with Jane Barlow on firstname.lastname@example.org
- In addition to joining a great team in a varied role, we offer 25 days annual leave (Pro-Rata for Part-Time Roles), plus bank holidays, plus Christmas shutdown.
- Staff have access to Lifeworks, which offers support to staff and many discounts on the high street.
- Travel to work using loans and discounts or the cycle to work scheme are available.
- Personal Protective Clothing is provided
Manchester Metropolitan University is committed to supporting the rights, responsibilities, dignity, health and wellbeing of staff and students through our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
We promote applications from all sections of the community, irrespective of background, belief or identity, recognising the benefits that a diverse organisation can bring. We particularly encourage applications from Black and Minority Ethnic candidates, who we recognise are underrepresented in this area.