Faculty Technician in Forensic Sciences
- Sutherland Building, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 8ST, GB
- Coach Lane Campus, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE7 7XA, GB
Faculty/Service: Technical and Specialist
Contract: Full Time
Closing Date: 01/05/23
To be successful in the role you will have:
- Experience working in specialist Laboratory, workshop or studio facilities.
- Experience of working with relevant skills and techniques processes, and procedures.
- Experience of receiving and responding to, enquiries from/to customers.
- Providing support in a technical context.
- Practical experience of undertaking or contributing to health and safety activities such as risk assessment and/or COSHH.
Further information is available in the person specification
Please note this is a temporary position, until the 15.12.2023.
If you would like an informal discussion about the role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
At Northumbria, we embrace tomorrow. We pursue new thinking, forge new partnerships, create, and exchange new knowledge, and find new solutions. Our inspirational academics, partners and students work together to tackle tomorrow’s challenges head on. We are ready for the future whatever it may hold.
Awarded the title of University of the Year in the 2022 Times Higher Education Awards, Northumbria University is a research-intensive modern university with a global reputation for academic excellence.
Northumbria recorded the biggest rise of any UK university for research power in the Research Excellence Framework for the second time in 2021 and is now ranked top 25 for this measure.
One of the largest universities in the UK with over 37,000 students from 137 countries, filled with world-leading research, award-winning partnerships, and students at the heart of an outstanding experience, Northumbria is a new kind of excellent university. Discover more about us.
Northumbria University is a great place to work. We empower our exceptional people to achieve shared ambitions and promote a positive work life balance. To say thank you, we offer a wide range of benefits including excellent pension schemes, flexible working, a generous holiday entitlement, continued commitment to your learning and development and more.
We are an on-campus organisation where colleagues work regular patterns of hours and on campus, with some flexibility on the timing of their hours and the location of their work in discussion with their manager.
Northumbria University is committed to creating an inclusive culture where we take pride in, and value, the diversity of our staff. We encourage and welcome applications from all members of the community. The University holds a bronze Athena Swan award in recognition of our commitment to advancing gender equality, we are a Disability Confident Employer, a member of the Race Equality Charter and are participating in the Stonewall Diversity Champion Programme.
The University has implemented a range of flexible working arrangements, and we are happy to explore candidate requirements as part of the recruitment process.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support, primarily in the fields of forensic sciences to students and staff, to include but not limited to
- preparation of materials and equipment for teaching, enterprise and research,
- assistance and support for practical sessions
- preparation, booking and return of materials and equipment for teaching sessions,
- stock/materials control, specification and requisitioning
- care, routine maintenance and PAT Testing of appropriate tools and equipment.
- Advise staff and students on the appropriate procedures for the operation, monitoring, maintenance and security of equipment and facilities. Instruct staff or groups of students on the use of specialist facilities and equipment
- Undertake excellent administrative work to facilitate responsive and recordable action to support the technical requirements of the Faculty.
- Assist in planning specialist facility and costing of apparatus & resourcing for new and existing facilities.
- Assist in the provision of specialist equipment in Faculty facilities, confirming it is available and operating effectively.
There may be a requirement to work off site and/or at evenings and weekends.