What is CPD Central?
CPD Central is an online Continuing Professional Development (CPD) tool designed to enhance the standards of professionalism of technical staff and managers in Higher Education.
The NTDC, in collaboration with partners including the IST, have developed a bespoke CPD portal to provide a platform for easily recording professional development as well as standardising that CPD across partner organisations.
Our CPD tool, CPD Central, is currently being tested at several Higher Education Institutions around the UK and we will update this page with more information soon. We are using the feedback from our testing to further develop the tool and fix any issues that may arise.
Please contact us if you would like to find out more about using CPD Central.
Why has it been developed?
CPD demonstrates that professionals engage in learning activities to develop and enhance their abilities. This can help employers retain key staff and develop the skills & knowledge in their organisations to maintain a sustainable and competitive advantage.
CPD combines different methodologies to learning, such as training workshops, conferences and events, e-learning programs, best practice techniques and ideas sharing, all focused for an individual to improve and have effective professional development.
CPD needs to:
- • be a documented process
- • be self-directed: driven by the individual focus on learning from experience, reflective learning and review
- • help you set development goals and objectives, including both formal and informal learning
The CPD process helps individuals to manage their own development on an ongoing basis. It’s function is to help people record, review and reflect on what they learn.
- • help to develop and update professional knowledge and skills
- • provide an overview of an individual’s professional development to date
- • remind individuals of their achievements and how far they’ve progressed
- • direct their career and make clearer goals
- • uncover gaps in an individual’s skills and capabilities
- • open up further development needs
- • provide examples and scenarios for a CV or interview
- • demonstrate professional standing to clients and employers
- • help with their career development or a possible career change